Here are some great ideas for your basement. Everyone is always interested in turning that neglected basement into a room that is useful and here are some suggestions you might try:
1) Poker Room – The basement is a perfect place to set up a poker room because it is removed from the rest of the house and people can stay down there late at night and not disturb those trying to sleep. The basement is also a place where you can decorate it just the way you like and not worry about it clashing with the design of the rest of the house.
2) Wine Cellar – Wine needs to kept in a cool dark place where the temperature doesn’t fluctuate too much. This is true of the basement as it is usually the coldest and darkest part of the house and the room were the temperature changes the least throughout the year. Additionally, the basement is usually either totally or partly built into the ground so it is the room where there is the least vibration.
3) Basement Gym – Basements are very often the coldest room in the house and so there is no better place to put your workout equipment. Very soon after beginning your workout, you will work up a sweat and the cold room will not bother you at all. Additionally, you can do as little or as much with your basement gym as you like to make it presentable. As this will not be a room to really “hang out” in, you don’t have to put down a carpet if you don’t want to. Or, if you do want to make it a great looking basement gym, you can do that too.
4) Kid’s Playroom – Depending on what type of basement you have, it could be perfect to turn into a kids playroom. Of course you would have to make sure it is carpeted for maximum safety and that if you leave the room you can hear what is going on in case there is trouble. Also, you would need to make sure your basement playroom has ample heat in the winter.
5) Basement Hobby Room – If you have a hobby that takes up space, the basement might be the perfect place for it. The basement can be kept a little more “messy” than the other rooms of the house so if your hobby has to do with paint or something else that might create a mess, the basement may be just the room you were looking for.